Sunday 11 February 2007

Start of the Journey

Well I've decided to start a blog after reading a few other peoples who are concentrating on mindful eating. I first read about the non diet, mindful eating approach a few years ago, when I found Geneen Roth's 'Feeding the hungry heart' in a bookshop while I was on holiday in Florida. The book spoke to me like no other had before, I suppose I hadn't realised that other people binged in secret and had tried every diet under the sun to no lasting avail!! After this, I read every one of Geneen Roth's books, loved the ethos of them and started to eat in a more mindful way. To be honest, I can't remember how long I used the principles for and how long it was before I started dieting and binging again - but it happened. What I do remember is that I felt very alone with it, like I was the only person in England who was on this journey - all the workshops she did were in the US and everything I found about mindful eating seemed to be in the US also.

Anyway, after another 3 years of dieting and binging (and weighing the same, if not more), I decided to search for more books on mindful eating (deep down I knew that this was the only real way for me). Looking through Amazon, I came across 'On Food', 'Overcoming Overeating' and 'The Diet Survivor's Handbook'. I lapped these books up and then continued searching - hoping that I would find some kind of workshops around this in the UK. Anyway I came across Beyond Chocolate. It felt great to find something based in England, I booked on the multimedia course straight away (2 weeks ago now) and also booked on the non residential weekend, which starts in March - I can't wait. This blog will cover my journey in giving up diets and taking control of my life.

No comments: