Sunday 11 February 2007

Time off work

I've discovered that I find it much easier to eat mindfully out out of stomach hunger when I am off work. All last week, I would start the day ok, I would eat out of stomach hunger for breakfast and then I would get hungry again and go off the rails. There is nowhere to eat in my office apart from at my desk, so it's hard to concentrate on what ur eating when you have a computer flashing in ur face and all ur colleagues chatting around you. I would find myself dipping into my supplies (I have stocked up my office drawers with food) when I wasn't even hungry and eating as I am working. When I tried to stop and think why, I just couldn't do it - it's like I'd get angry at myself for even asking!!

Anyway, I was off work on friday and over the weekend. I have found it so much easier to eat out of stomach hunger, eat at my dining table and concentrate on the food. Food has tasted fabulous this last 3 days. I had some mango earlier that was so sweet and juicy. It's true that food tastes so much better when your hungry for it. Even though this is the case, why is it that I still want to devour everything in my sight a lot of the time?

I know that the approach I am taking is slowly, slowly but I find myself wanting results NOW and also applying the principles like rules, which I know is only going to make it feel like a diet. I'm very optimistic though, even if my boyfriend is not - he doesn't 'get it' at all, he actually told me off the other day for his stomach ache - he said that me filling up the house with chocolates and all sorts of food is meaning that he is eating more. He honestly is blaming me for himself overeating. To be honest, he isn't eating anymore than he usually does, he's just a little overwhelmed by all the food. I've told him that it's tough and this is how it's going to be (how many times was I on a diet, yet he still wanted a cupboard full of chocolate and crisps when we went shopping). He hinted that my new approach isn't 'working' - reading between the lines, I think he means I've put some weight on lately. I've asked him not to comment on my eating or my body (unless it's positive) and that at the moment, losing weight isn't the biggest thing for me - I am concentrating more on learning to accept myself as I am and losing my eating disorder (ie, compulsive overeating). Anyway, think it sunk in - I'm sure he means well, but to be honest, his comments aren't the least bit helpful.

Anyway I'm feeling pretty good at the moment, I have been eating only out of stomach hunger for the last few days and its feeling great. It excites me to think that I will never have to go for the 'low fat' option again when I go to a restaurant (unless of course that it what my body is craving).

2 comments:

Liquorice Torpedoes said...

I'm convinced this is the only way forward. It sounds like you've come from a similar place from me in terms of reading the books and finding a UK based project.

Good for you for having the self-worth to explain what you're doing to your boyfriend and start the journey.

My OH is supportive, but primarily because he likes food and prefers me being more experimental in what i'm eating and less restrictive.

It's lovely to find another person on the mindful eating journey.

Andrea Wren said...

Hi Jo & thanks for stopping by Chocolate and Beyond!

It is really wonderful to see how many people are taking on board this way of relating to food and eating, rather than dieting. I wish you the best of luck and will add your blog to my diet-dumping blogs page.